MappIT is a very efficient and effective tool either to manage easily and completely all day-by-day activities of an IT Department or to support strategic IT Transformation and Architecture projects aiming at redefining the IT landscape due to some major business and/or technical needs (e.g. a Post-Merger event, a new Digital Strategy, a revamping of Customer Relationship initiative…).
It is very easy to use and …it is free!
1-Easily collect, organize and create relationships
The first purpose of the tool is to easily collect, organize and create relationships across different views, like the following:
- future business needs (described as a hierarchy of Business Driver and Objectives, Functional Capabilities and Requirements)
- current key elements of the business operational model of you company (described as lists of type of products, customers, channels and how they are correlated in terms of Business Processes)
- current and future IT landscape assets (described as lists of applications, interfaces, data entities, infrastructures and how they are correlated each other or how they are linked to the business operational model, the needs, the initiatives, the IT operational model and the IT spending)
- running and planned IT initiatives (described as lists of project, phases, impacts, issues, …)
- current IT Operational model (described as lists department’s/OUs, people, roles and skills and how they are correlated in terms of IT Organization
- current and future IT Spending (described as future Impacts or current external Actual/Budget costs and internal FTEs allocation on IT activities performed by the IT Organization and linked to IT assets and IT initiatives)
The way information are collected in the tool (which entity, which relationships, which attributes…) are based on a EA model that represent:
- a rational and comprehensive structure based on past experiences in many IT Strategy/Architecture project
- a simplification of existing best practices taken from other famous framework (Zachman, TOGAF…)
The tool can be used in a modular way, which means that you can start tracking some type of information at the beginning (e.g. IT assets) and then progressively grow on other directions (e.g. IT spending or Business needs).
2-Comprehensive reporting and effective visual representation
The second purpose of the tool is to create synthetic views of all the data collected so far; this can be achieved in very different ways:
- embedded pivot reporting
- external reporting with powerful reporting tools (like Microsoft PowerPivot or TableauSoftware)
- generation of visual cards and maps (chevron process maps, network maps and heat maps) in PowerPoint and Visio
3-Simplify data collection
The third purpose of the tool is to simplify the way to populate the model; this can be achieved in very different ways:
- simple export of summarized information in Excel format
- through massive import of information via Excel files (managing lookup of related information)
- through export of skill self-assessment templates for IT staff and import of sill self-assessment results