This tutorial will explain very quickly how to use the visualization tools in MappIT.
- You need to select the “Tool” tab in MappIT
From this screen you can select a wide set of tools. Now we will concentrate on the second tool named Card. This is a tool which organize a Dataset (could be for example a dataset of capabilities, modules, processes…) in a set of Cards (one card will be a slide). In each card the attribute of the dataset are arranged in a graphical layout based on a template that should be prepared in power point before start generating the Cards. The output is a set of slides in PowerPoint one for each item in the data set which looks like the following:
This could be used for example to create a set of Capability cards for a whole program or when you want to create a detailed card for each Project, Module, ….
Before starting we need to create a layout template in PowerPoint. For doing this open Microsoft PowerPoint and create a presentation made by 1 slide; then add shape, table and textbox as you want.
Now you need to link some (is not required to link all of them) of this items to the Capability attribute that you need to display. In order to do this you need to display the Selection Pane in PowerPoint, for doing this go to “Home” then click “Select” and the click on “Selection Pane…”.
This will display the selection pane on the right
If you want to link a shape to an attribute, you just click the shape and then edit the name of the shape. You must follow the following naming convention in order to assure to link properly:
- For a single text field, your prefix must be [FIELD] flowed by the name of the field that you want to link.
- For a master-detail table, you must define a first prefix [MASTER] followed by the field on the main table that represent the foreign key (e.g. Capability_ID), then the prefix [CHILD] followed by the query that will collect all data from the detail table (e.g. SELECT Name, Description, Complexity_Estimation from BDG_Impacts WHERE BDG_Impacts.ID_Capability=? Order by BDG_Impacts.Complexity_Estimation) . You can notice here a “?” in the query that describe where the master parameter (Capability_ID in our example) will be used to select the detailed record for this specific slide.
- Finally arrange the graphical style and layout of the template and save it.
To start generating the Cards click on the button “Generate Cards” and then select the PPT template that you have just created:
The select the object which represent the dataset to be visualized, you can select one of the BigTables (for example BT_APP_Capability):
Now if you click Next the PPT will be generated (the output will be generated in the same folder of the template with the same name followed by a “_Filled” suffix). This is the final result could be for example a capability card…
…or a project card….
- You can now open the PPT file and change the cards as you want for your presentation purposes.